Friday, April 19, 2002

Give Him Eternal Rest, O Lord, And May Perpetual Light Shine On Him For Ever

No more blogging for a bit. I just found out that my Grandfather Andy died tonight. Apparently, he went into the hospital last night suffering from chest pains. He died earlier this evening. From what I am told, he passed peacefully.

It is a strange moment. I found out about it badly. My mother calls me and immediately starts telling me how I don't need to come back for a funeral because he is being cremated and there will be no service. See, she didn't get me when she first called, so she left me a message. I hadn't noticed. Needless to say, I was stunned.

(As an aside -- email and voice mail are not good mediums for bad news. This is the third time I learned of some problem with my grandfather's health that way.)

I was not close to him. In fact, I would say we didn't know each other well. I'm not about to air the family laundry on this blog, but suffice it to say that my grandfather was far closer to my Aunt and her daughters than my Dad and his sons. Still, I am deeply shaken. Maybe in part because I truly wish I had known him better, even though I long ago resigned myself to the fact that it wasn't going to happen. I am more upset for my Dad and worry about him. I know he wishes he had a closer relationship with his dad -- I can't characterize their relationship, because it was a strange mix. I worry because my brother lives with his wife in VA and I live here in Chicago. Without a funeral or service, it's unlikely our family will get together to mourn and share.

My grandfather wasn't a religious man as far as I know, but I learned today that in recent years he had been going to mass with his wife (third -- my biological grandmother died when my Dad was a boy and Grandma Rose died probably ten years ago now). I am encouraged by that and place my trust in God's love and mercy and peace.

If you would, please remember my grandfather and my family in your prayers. It would mean a great deal to me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home