Monday, May 27, 2002

Memorial Day and Fr. Capodanno

Today's Memorial Day. I can't say I have ever treated it much differently than any other government holiday. That said, things seem a bit different this year. My father served in the U.S. Navy and my brother currently serves as an officer in the United States Marine Corps.

I know many Christians who cannot comprehend how people of faith serve in our Armed Forces. Still, I hope they pray for them today and are thankful of the sacrifices of those who gave their lives. I also hope that, as Catholics, we might take time to remember those military men and women who lived Christian lives. Recently, I gave my sister-in-law a copy of a book about one such man: Fr. Vincent Capodanno, a Maryknoll priest and Navy chaplain who served with the Marine Corps in Vietnam. He died aiding the wounded in the midst of a battle. He was awarded the Purple Heart and the Medal of Honor posthumously. You can read more about Fr. Capodanno here and here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home