Friday, May 17, 2002

On The Ordination Of Women

Okay, I really don't intend to enter the fray. Peter over at Sursum Corda posted what I took to be a personal reflection on the issue and how he will have to approach it in his life with his daughter, and it has generated a lot of replies.

One in paricular raised this question:

"The issue of in persona Christi especially interests me. We are all baptized into Christ. There are all those references to this in various places in St. Paul's writings. We are to put on Christ. "I no longer live now, but Christ lives in me." This would be for a woman as well as a man, as far as I can understand, in becoming a Christian through Baptism. Becoming Christ ought to supercede our biological makeup and deal with things of the Spirit, where there are "neither Jew nor Greek, slave nor free, male nor female."
I don't have a great answer for that, but it is clear that the Holy Father sees the in persona Christi Capitas (in the person of Christ, the Head) that comes fom the Sacrament of Holy Orders as different from the participation in the priesthood of Jesus Christ that stems from the Sacraments of Baptism and Confirmation. Where does he say this? Why, in CFL, of course! You can check out my reflection on that part by clicking here. (Yes, I know, it's long and you probably skipped it the first time you saw it. But it's worth reading. At least I would like to think so.)

So, not so much an answer to the question of whether women can receive the Sacrament of Holy Orders, but a potential reason why arguing from the basis of Baptism may not get you anywhere.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home