Monday, August 05, 2002

On Being a Shepherd

A long time ago, I commented that one of the things the bishops ought to do in the wake of the recent scandals was to reflect on their role as shepherds and rededicate themselves to it. I thought this would be a positive way to address their own responsibilities; not the mea culpa everyone was clamoring for, but a positive step forward nonetheless. During my time before the Blessed Sacrament tonight, I came across this little gem in today's entry in Magnificat:

"I am the good shepherd. A good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. (Jn 10:11) In the days of the psalmist, the flock was the shepherd's wealth. Perhaps that gives an idea of how the divine Shepherd values the troublesome sheep whom he so lovingly guards, guides, and cherishes."
An interesting idea and one to reflect upon regarding how that attitude would shape one's approach to leadership and discipleship.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home