Monday, April 28, 2003

Thoughts On Mercy

Amy Welborn has posted some thoughts on mercy prompted by this past Sunday being Divine Mercy Sunday. She asks her readers to consider whether they truly believe in mercy for themselves. That reminds me of a long-running thought of mine about a sentence we say at every Mass: "Lord, I am not worthy to receive you, but only say the word and I shall be healed." It is a fascinating sentence. I used to think that the first part had the real meat: recognizing, even if only partly, the reality of being a sinner and the effect of sin on our lives and to our relationship with God. Over the years, though, I have become convinced that the second part is meaty, too. Sometimes we really don't behave like we believe that Christ came to heal us and stands ready to do so always. We become an impediment to our acceptance of the mercy God wants to extend to us. I suppose both of these problems are better though than the person who doesn't take the sentence seriously at all and just mutters the words each week. Lord, I believe, help me in my unbelief.

4 Comments:

Blogger Cathy said...

Keep up your good work. Thanks for sharing! Great Job.

AC company South Miami

5:39 AM  
Blogger Sumit Kapoor said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Industrial Ventilation said...

This was really a quality post. I'd like to write like your article - taking time and effort to make such an article.
Dust Collection

2:56 AM  
Blogger Rakesh Kumar said...

Thank you for sharing such an informative article. Its really nice to see such a post. Visit

International Air Freight Services

11:58 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home